Saturday, March 17, 2012

Thin Mint Scones

Thin Mint Scones - ButterYum
St. Patrick's Day is a special day in our house because it's our oldest daughter's birthday.  She loves Thin Mint girl scout cookies so I bought a box with her in mind.  The very next day I spied Thin Mint Scones on The Food Librarian's blog and knew they would be perfect to make for my birthday girl's breakfast.  They were very tasty and the family loved them - I hope you will too.


Thin Mint Scones
recipe adapted from The Food Librarian
makes 12-14 scones

10 ounces all-purpose flour (2 cups)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
1 cup heavy whipping cream
12 Thin Mint cookies, chopped into small pieces
1/4 teaspoon mint extract

Topping
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons sanding or turbinado sugar (or granulated sugar)

Preheat over to 425F.  In a glass measure, combine heavy cream and mint extract; set aside.  In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles small pebbles.  Add heavy cream and chopped cookie bits; blend together quickly, being careful not to over mix.  Press mixture onto a lightly floured surface and roll to 1/2-inch thickness.  Using a sharp knife or floured biscuit cutter, cut into shapes and place on parchment or silicone lined sheet pan.  Make egg wash by combining egg and water; brush onto the tops of each scone; sprinkle with sugar.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until baked through and golden brown.  The shamrock shaped cutter I used can be found here.


 

20 comments:

  1. perfect for St.Patricks Day, ( anyday actually) !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and perfect for St. Ptty's Day! Thanks for sharing.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just give me a minute... I am hyperventilating!!!! This is such a scrumptious idea! I did not get girlscout cookies, but I am on the look out for their stand at the local grocers! And I am making these FOR SURE!!!! What a fabulous scone!
    Please stop by and put this yummy recipe ON THE MENU MONDAY. Link goes up Sunday at 8:00 pm. This is a recipe to share!!!!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are soooo cute! I recently made homemade thin mints and I have some left in the freezer, now I know what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look delicious (and are incredibly adorable). I like the idea of mint throughout a scone like you've done. Heck, I like scones period and am even able to get over the chocolate thing when it comes to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely treat for St Patrick's Day! They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun way to bring on the green! I love the shape too. I haven't made scones with chocolate - where have I been!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated birthday wishes to your sweet daughter!!! I love these scones! I always buy WAY too many GS cookies and I know my kids would love these for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi- I love the scones ! I know they must be delicious, all the ingredients are!! You asked me a question about where I purchased the shamrock cookie cutters I used on my blog. They were a set of sizes that increased until there were 5 or 6 cookie cutters. I have had them awhile, but I am pretty sure that I purchased them at Hobby Lobby. I will try and remember for sure, and I will let you know, if I think it was somewhere else, but I wanted to tell you that right away. Thanks for commenting on my src post!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun day to be born! Our grandson was supposed to be born on the 17th but came a few days early :) Love the minty scones. They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even if without the delicious recipes and gorgeous pics, I'd follow just because of your blog name. It just sounds tasty! I'm a new follower and would love to have you stop by my brand new blog and follow too, if you'd like. My first link party/give-away is running now through Saturday. I hope you'll come and link up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This brings thin mints to a new level. This rocks. Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so good and so pretty!..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a clever idea! I'm making these ASAP, don't need St. Patrick's Day for these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look awesome! I awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award. Head on over to my blog to claim it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a festive and delicious treat. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Patricia,

    zuuzs is hosting a Spring Recipe Challenge and I'd like to invite you to join! It's a great opportunity for you to promote your blog and showcase your recipe in front of thousands of people. Plus, there's prizes including a $500 Gift Card for the Grand Prize and three $200 Gift Cards as the top Category prizes you can use to buy kitchen related wares.

    Please visit this post full contest details and how you can participate: http://www.simplystacie.net/2012/03/calling-all-cooks-join-the-zuuzs-grand-spring-recipe-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh this is just brilliant! Such a yummy idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh they look so delicious! Happy St. Patty's Day and Pink Saturday too! Xoxo. Marti

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!